Single-use endoscopy: Building on a proven concept
Ten years ago, Ambu launched the world’s first single-use flexible endoscope: The Ambu® aScope™. The aScope is now used at more than 3,000 hospitals across the globe proving its worth in both pulmonary and ENT endoscopy.
By 2020, Ambu will bring the advantages of sterile-single-use endoscopes to all areas of gastroenterology in the form of: duodenoscopes, colonoscopes and gastroscopes.
Health economy issues in endoscopy
When it comes to endoscopy, hospitals are facing increased pressure from several directions:
• Stricter cleaning and reprocessing guidelines
• Guidelines have been expanded with 100+ steps in recent years
• Costs are increasing
• More complex and resource-demanding compliance
• Significant cost burden of capital investment
• Purchasing reusable gastroenterology scopes
• Acquiring associated equipment, such as video processors
• Expensive repair costs
• Scopes break and must be fixed or replaced
• Defects occur that preclude proper reprocessing
(for example, scratches in the working channel)